Welcome to the At The Flicks Awards show.
What, I hear you cry – not another one. Ah, but this is not just any awards show. This is the At The Flicks ALTERNATIVE Awards show. It’s like the Razzies except we don’t pick on children – although Jeff sees everyone else as fair game, especially Neil!
Be afraid, as we let Jeff write the script again this year. That’s why the show is late being delivered to you. You see, we had to run it past our lawyers first. It took months for them to check over the details, which resulted in some of the awards having to be removed from this recording and put in the At The Flicks vault, never to be heard again (although Graham has said we can be bribed). During the consultation period, things got so tense with our team of lawyers, one left us to work for Donald Trump instead. His parting words were “Trump is sane compared to you lot”!
As we said, Jeff wrote most of the script for these awards, with one exception. That exception is the one Graham insisted on writing and presenting. It is of course, his most look forward to moment on the show – the annual Mel Gibson Movie Of The Year award. To be fair, this year there were many options. Although it went a bit far when Graham said he wanted to present The Mel with an award for each of the nominations, as he couldn’t pick just one film. When we told him that wasn’t possible, Graham initially stormed off the red carpet, almost tripping over his little Gucci creation as he went. Luckily, we were able to get him back by waving a signed copy of Braveheart near him. I guess if we had known this show would be coming out around Easter, we could have used The Passion Of The Christ instead.
As for the other awards we are allowed to share with you, they are:
- The Star Wars Award: For The Most Pointless Sequel
- The Braveheart Award: For The Most Annoying Re-Writing Of History
- The Hobbit Trilogy Award: For The Most Gratuitous Cash-In
- The Heaven’s Gate Award: For The Most Embarrassing Failure
- The Steven Seagal Award: For The Actor You Don’t Want To See Next Year – this year awarded to a previous winner, with the warning of three strikes and you’re out
- The Boris Johnson Award: For The Family Film Of The Year
- The Frank Die Hard 2 Award: For The Most Unbelievable Plot Developments
All other awards have been removed to prevent lengthy court cases.
Tune in to find out who was nominated and who won. Sadly, no one turned up to collect their award in person. Neil took them away promising to send them on. We are still waiting for proof of sending.
As an added bonus, we also reveal to you what our review team are most looking forward to seeing at the cinema this year. There are a couple of surprises in that list.
What about you dear listener, what are you most looking forward to seeing in what is left of 2023? Please drop us a line and tell us.
Who knows, if your film list corresponds with ours, we might see you At The Flicks.
Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
Below is a list of all the films and TV Shows referenced in this Podcast.
- 13 Lives
- 2001 : A Space Odyssey
- Aquaman 2
- Asteroid City
- Avatar The Way Of Water
- Blake’s Seven (TV)
- Bullet Train
- Cocaine Bear
- Cosmic Sin
- Die Hard
- Die Hard 2
- Don’t Look Up
- Don’t Worry Darling
- Dune Part 2
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Fantastic Beasts : The Secrets Of Dumbledore
- Father Stu
- Force of Nature
- Forrest Gump
- Guardians Of The Galaxy 3
- Halloween Ends
- Haunted Mansion
- Heaven’s Gate
- Independence Day
- Independence Day : Resurgence
- Jackass Forever
- John Wick Chapter 4
- Jurassic World : Dominion
- Killers Of The Flower Moon
- Last Looks
- Licorice Pizza
- Little Women
- Marriage Story
- Mission Impossible : Dead Reckoning : Part 1
- Mission Impossible : Fallout
- Moonrise Kingdom
- Obi Wan Kenobi (TV)
- Operation Mincemeat
- Paws Of Fury (aka Paws Of Fury)
- Phantom Of The Open
- Scrooge : A Christmas Carol
- See How They Run
- Singing In The Rain
- Spider-Man : Across The Spider-Verse
- Spider-Man : Into The Spider-Verse
- Star Wars
- Strange World
- The Bad Guys
- The Batman
- The Day After Tomorrow
- The Duke
- The Flash
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- The Killer (2023)
- The Northman
- The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent
- The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
- The Woman King
- Top Gun : Maverick
- Violent Night